24.06.2017

Immer frisch serviert!

Neues aus der Gastroszene.

Der EssPress im Jahresabo,

12 Ausgaben zu 42 €!

Einfach  Button klicken.

07.01.2017

Immer frisch serviert!

Neues aus der Gastroszene.

Der EssPress im Jahresabo,

12 Ausagen zu 42 €!

Einfach  Button klicken.

07.01.2017

Art

The Wye! | New Art Temple in Kreuzberg

       17. June 2012       

New working space for local and international artists in a former post office on Skalitzer Straße.

Independent curators Verity Oberg, Inken Bornhold and Leah Stuhlgrager recently discovered this five story, 1924 built brick building in Kreuzberg along with the potential a place like it holds. "We noticed that many artists in Berlin work individually. We wanted to bundle that energy, that's how the idea for our concept was formed. When we saw that this beautiful building was vacant, we wanted to snatch it up before another hostel would end up moving in there," recalls Verity Oberg.

Although they were supported by different sponsors, the project received no public funding. "We want to do a lot without actual money", says Oberg. Seems like that plan worked out. In an eight week renovating marathon, the curators, artists and a number of volunteers jazzed up the former post office and post officer's residency unit. It now beams in a new light, but the construction team left all of its original characteristics untouched.

Next to the building itself, a large number of the exhibitions it houses have comitted themselves to recycling and sustainability. Like the "Konzeptraum 86", a room that displays fashion by selected local labels on clothing racks. "Even the fashion here is basically curated" says Niccolò Montanari, one of the Konzeptraum 86 designers. "We wanted to represent a unique form of sustainability. No mass production. These clothes can be bought or rented at reasonable prices. That way, we save resources but the designers still make money off their work.

Art and fashion? According to Montanari, there is no reason the two should stand in each other's way. "It was important to us that the house should be a multidisciplinary place. It combines many different art forms – performance art, music and fashion are just a few examples."

The ground floor of the five story building also hosts an exhibition called High Risk / Low Tech in one of its large, well-lit rooms. It features home accessories by a group of designers that work with recycled material. The exhibition pieces – clever combinations of unusual materials and artistic simplicity - are offered on sale for the general public.

On the second floor, one of the building's forty bathrooms has been turned into a recording studio, where the band Nuclear Family is currently producing their new album. There is even a language school that has been integrated into the house. Although the Wye's official opening won't take place until September, 85 per cent of the building's capacities have already be rented out to local artists, with the remaining 15 per cent being held for international artists.

The fourth floor is home to a room of 320 square meters that will host public events over the summer. To participate, all you have to do is keep your ears open, since the exact dates haven't been determined yet.

(nas)

The Wye Skalitzer Straße 86 I Berlin-Kreuzberg, www.thewye.de

The Wye Skalitzer Straße 86 I Berlin-Kreuzberg, www.thewye.de


Bewertung abgeben
 

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
2 + 11 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.